Trip to Kauai: Days 4-6

Welcome back! Today we are continuing my recap of our (meaning mine and my boyfriend Matt’s) graduation trip to Kauai!

Day 4: There are wild chickens all over Kauai and the roosters serenaded us every morning starting at about 4:00 am so I was awake by 6:00. It worked out okay because I got in a nice five mile run. I found this awesome little park that overlooked the ocean.

We tried to go to the Kilauea Lighthouse but it was closed on Mondays so we headed to Anini Beach. This is where I snorkeled and saw some very cool fish! It was very windy so we headed to Hanalei Beach again.

Hanalei Beach was still windy and there were some crazy rip tides. I stuck to walking on the beach and watched Tim and Zach take turns with the boogie-boards.

We ate at Kalypso again and I had a mahi-mahi tostada salad. My dad told me I had to try mahi-mahi while I was there and it did not disappoint.


After dinner, Matt and I went on a date. We got milkshakes at a place called Pink’s. I got mint chocolate chip and he got a malt. I found a mermaid face-cut out thing and of course the picture is horrible but I will not be stopped.


Day 5: We all got up at 6:30 so we could drive to Lihue to take a helicopter tour of the island. We went through Sunshine Helicopters. I recommend them but they’re the only helicopter tour company I’ve ever used, so there you go.


Before take-off.

The tour was very cool. We saw the waterfall that you see in the beginning of Jurassic Park which was very cool. We also flew up this valley (I had a hard time hearing the names from the guide/pilot) but it was the burial valley of Hawaiian kings. One warrior was entrusted to carry the king up the valley and then he killed himself so no one would know where the king was buried. Being a writer (and therefore a bit morbid) I enjoyed this story.

After some lunch, we headed to the Kilauea Lighthouse, which was not as impressive as I hoped but it had an awesome view of the water and some very big waves smashing (loudly) into the cliffs.

Then we went to Secret Beach, which has a real name too, but I don’t remember what it is. Matt got some good drone footage.


You would not believe how blue the water is.

After dinner, Matt and I went with Lynnsey to Hanalei Beach so she could get some good sunset photographs. (Did I mention she’s an amazing photographer? You can find her website here) Matt played with the drone some more and then we hurried home to escape the storm.

Day 6: I planned to get up at 6:30 to run but woke up at 5:45 unable to go back to sleep. So five miles it was, with pouring rain for the first mile. I seriously considered going in early but I’m glad I didn’t, because the rain stopped and even cooled the air off a bit.

Cheryl, Lynnsey and I dropped the boys off at the Na Pali Coast trail. It was a very rainy day so we shopped around Hanalei and I finally got an acai bowl.


Yes I got hungry before I remembered to take a picture so I hid my spoon in there like it was a banana. 

This one had bananas, coconut flakes, macadamia nuts, honey, chia seeds, and peanut butter. It was heavenly.

We picked the boys up after their hike and ate at Kalypso again. I had a pesto chicken sandwich with waffle fries and a pina colada. Being a fairly small human who doesn’t drink often, I was tipsy halfway through it. Also, there was a lot of rum. But I’m a super lightweight so…yeah.

We went home and lots of people took naps. Not me. I don’t remember what I did but it was probably wildly unproductive. I was on vacation.

That’s it for today! One more post recapping everything Kauai and then my marathon-training rambles shall resume.

Until then,




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s